For the last nine years, the FASPS community has helped support the food pantry at Thurgood Marshall Elementary School in Seattle's Central district. Along with other donors, including bakeries and Thurgood Marshall’s own student body, FASPS families helped provide meals for up to 40 families during the school year.
During the 2017-2018 school year, the FPC executive decided that we should expand our community service footprint and sculpt a path towards a lasting, positive impact on the communities in which we live, learn, and work. Thus, Solidaire Community Service was created.Philosophy
Through volunteering in our community -- Mercer Island, Seattle, and the Eastside -- we not only give our children the opportunity to experience and practice positive values like kindness, respect, empathy, and compassion, we empower them by showing them ways that they can effectuate change and make the world a better place.
For our older children that are capable of understanding more complex issues and exploring the root causes of problems, service learning offers them the opportunities to link what they are learning in the classroom to real world situations. These experiences train preteens and teens to become innovative citizens that see beyond surface causes and effect change in their communities and beyond. For our students, this is particularly important as our children are more likely to go further out into the world because
- They can! The world is quickly becoming more accessible to them in ways that was not possible in previous generations.
- They are receiving an education here at FASPS that will make them more aware of the world at large.
- They have families that support a global view.
To date, the following events have been scheduled:
- December 3-14: Clothing & Toy Drive for Treehouse
- January 26: Volunteer Day at Lifeline Food Bank
- January 28-31: Tutu’s Pantry for YPK & PK
- February 9: Cook for Families Living in Shelters with Doris Gueye-Oué
- February 25-28: Tutu’s Pantry for Grades 4-8
- March (mid): Volunteering at local animal shelter
- March 25-29: Tutu’s Pantry for Grades 2 & 3
- April 29- May 2: Tutu’s Pantry for Kindergarten & Grade 1
- May: Volunteering at Mercer Island park, Cereal Drive for Hopelink Bellevue
- May 27-30: Tutu’s Pantry for YPK & PK
More events will be scheduled. We welcome ideas! Our goal is to connect FASPS families with volunteer opportunities that are open to as wide of an age range as possible. Look for upcoming announcements from your Grade Parents for sign-up opportunities.