For the last ten years, the FASPS community has helped support the food pantry at Thurgood Marshall Elementary School in Seattle's Central district. Along with other donors, including bakeries and Thurgood Marshall’s own student body, FASPS families helped provide meals for up to 40 families during the school year.
During the 2017-2018 school year, the FPC executive decided that we should expand our community service footprint and sculpt a path towards a lasting, positive impact on the communities in which we live, learn, and work. Thus, Solidaire Community Service was created.
Through volunteering in our community -- Mercer Island, Seattle, and the Eastside -- we give our children the opportunity to experience and practice positive values like kindness, respect, empathy, and compassion, and we empower them by showing them ways that they can effectuate change and make the world a better place.
For our older children that are capable of understanding more complex issues and exploring the root causes of problems, service learning offers them the opportunities to link what they are learning in the classroom to real world situations. These experiences train preteens and teens to become innovative citizens that see beyond surface causes and effect change in their communities and beyond. For our students, this is particularly important as our children are more likely to go further out into the world because:
- They can! The world is quickly becoming more accessible to them in ways that was not possible in previous generations.
- They are receiving an education here at FASPS that will make them more aware of the world at large.
- They have families that support a global view.
For the 2019-2020 school year, the following events are being planned:
- September 30 – October 3: Tutu’s Pantry for Middle School
- October: Volunteer Day at Mercer Island Parks
- October 28-31: Tutu’s Pantry for K, 1 & 2
- November: Volunteer Day at Treehouse Wearhouse
- November 18-21: Tutu’s Pantry for grades 3, 4 & 5
- December 2-13: Clothing & Toy Drive for Treehouse
- January: Volunteer Day at Lifeline Food Bank
- January 27-30: Tutu’s Pantry for TPK, YPK & PK
- February 24-27: Tutu’s Pantry for Middle School
- March: Volunteer Day at Mercer Island Parks
- March 30 – April 2: Tutu’s Pantry for K, 1 & 2
- April: TBD
- April 27-30: Tutu’s Pantry for grades 3, 4 & 5
- May: Prepare sack meals for homeless community
- May 18-21: Tutu’s Pantry for TPK, YPK & PK
Event details will be dialed in as soon as possible. Updates and announcements/sign ups for events will be communicated via Grade Parent emails.
We welcome event ideas! Our goal is to connect FASPS families with volunteer opportunities that are open to as wide of an age range as possible. Last year we supported a cereal drive for HopeLink that was brought to us by a FASPS family.